In the early 1950’s, the East Long Beach and Lakewood communities were just starting to be developed and it was during this time that a small group from the established Long Beach First Christian Church planted what would eventually be known as Parkcrest Christian Church.
The year was 1951, and this industrious group of people was determined to make a difference in the lives of these new families, now moving in by the droves. On Sunday, August 19, 1951, fifty-seven people gathered at the corner of Arbor Road and Charlemagne to enjoy the first church service for what was then called Lakewood Christian Church. Within a year, the new church had purchased a 2 ¼ acre tract of land, east of the American Legion Hall on Parkcrest Street, for the amount of $25,000. Ground breaking ceremonies took place on February 8, 1952, and upon completion of the church’s first building, the congregation changed its name to Parkcrest Church of Christ. The name was finally changed to Parkcrest Christian Church around 1980.
Over the years, many men and women have stepped up to do the vital work of God at Parkcrest. In 1978, Roger Beard became the Senior Pastor of Parkcrest, and he led the church through many important seasons before he passed the torch of leadership to current Lead Pastor, Mike Goldsworthy, in 2008.